Friday, March 06, 2009

Hello from Jo Lynne

Hi Friends and Former Classmates,

This is your long lost pal JoLynne. As some of you know I currently live in Nova Scotia, Canada and my husband Curtis is in his 2nd year of dental school. We had a handsome baby boy in June and I am staying home playing the mommy role. I will continue to do so until we move back to the states.

I am currently a member of CASLPA. It is the Canadian version of ASHA. I want to stay as currents as I can so that when I do move elsewhere I can find a job and not feel completely in the dark. There are a few things I don't know that I would like to get a better grasp on. Does anyone have any information on lisps they can send my way as well as info on tounge thrust? I am going to study on my own in addition to the continuing ed credits I am required to learn so I can be even more prepared to jump into work. Does anyone have any advice on where I should start or areas you wish you would have been more prepared for before hitting the work force? I am interested in preschool/elementary, possibly middle school age.

I am willing to make materials and use this time I have at home wisely. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Has anyone bought any books they absolutely love?

Here is a picture of our little Samuel (Sammy as I like to call him)


Jo Lynne

6 comments:

Bob said...

I think one of the best things to do is to work. I know you have a baby so that makes it very difficult, but even if you got it worked out with a local school district that you would work once a week or something. We had a speech therapist do that in our school district for some extra money. She only worked on Mondays and she just helped other speech therapist. Of course she worked for the school district before so it was easier for her to negotiate, but there is such a need out there that you might be able to do something small. Might also look into telehealth so you could do stuff from home.

JO said...

I know it may sound crazy but the job field is nothing like it is in Utah, or the states for that matter. Jobs are sooo hard to come by because of the funding and health care. Unfortunately I will just have to wait until we move to the states which is okay with me. I almost tried the telehealth thing but they would have assigned me older students when I didn't have the resources to serve them, not to mention a computer to see them on. My husband has the computer all day at school. I'm lucky to get 15 minutes on it most days.

Bob said...

Wow, I guess making reading journals, staying on top of the research maybe. I think nothing prepares you for working, but you can get as much info as possible. When are you guys coming back to the States?

Kristin said...

Hey girl! Good to hear from you! Well, I work w/ adults, so that's not helpful, eh? (Haha...eh!...) But I do have an old tongue thrust protocol from a client I worked with. Maybe I can scan it and email it to you. As for lisps...just traditional artic. to move the tongue back I would say. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about anymore when I talk about kids..hahaha. I think one of the best things you could do when you visit is observe someone for a day. Anyway, that's so crazy jobs are so hard to come by there!

Bob said...

She actually has a great idea. You should go visit and shadow a local SLP to see what they do, everybody does stuff different, so I would shadow a lot of people. I wish I had time to do that myself.

Kristin said...

What a CUTE baby, btw Jo!